Accept the challenge !
Commit to keeping:
- The maximum short-term loudness no higher than -10 LUFS, at the loudest moments
- The maximum True Peak level of your music to -1 dBTP
- The maximum Short-Term Loudness, at the loudest moment
- The maximum True Peak level
- Copy and paste the following update to Twitter or Facebook – you could even change your profile image to the logo above, if you like
- Or, post something similar to your blog, Instagram, Pinterest – anywhere online. Use the logo image at the top page and link back here
- Maybe even record a short video clip – on your phone is fine – and post it on YouTube, Facebook or anywhere else we can embed it from
Wait, what ?
Don’t panic ! It’s not as bad as it sounds:
How to measure the loudness of your music
First, get hold of an LUFS loudness meter. Many highly affordable options are now available.
Make a note of:
If the values you’ve recorded meet the targets above – you’ve met the challenge !
Why these values ?
Short-term loudness of -10 LUFS is at right at the top end of the “loudness sweet spot” – in any genre. Sadly though, most modern release are crushed to much higher values. Short-Term readings of 10 or less usually mean very limited dynamics in your music, and guarantee it will be turned down on playback by all the major music streaming services.
If you’re already making Wide Dynamic Music, we still have a challenge for you !
Persuade someone else to take this challenge
Show them the resources on this site and challenge them to get involved
What’s the point ?
Well for one thing, your music will sound better.
But there’s more.
Plus, accepting the Challenge is one of the best ways to raise awareness of Dynamic Range Day !
How to take part
Accepting the challenge is easy.
First, make sure your album has a maximum Short-term Loudness of no more than -10 LUFS, and keep the True Peak level to -1 dBTP.
Then simply add the logo to your CD or website, with a link back to DynamicRangeDay.com.
I have ACCEPTED the Dynamic Range Day Challenge ! Click here for more info http://DynamicRangeDay.com/about #DynamicRangeDay
Finally, post a message on the wall of the Dynamic Range Day Facebook Page with a link so that everyone can see you’re taking part.
Accept the Dynamic Range Day Challenge NOW, and tell us about it !
Using the logo
The Challenge Logo above is available as a Hi-Res image – so you can use it on the artwork of any release that meets the Challenge requirements, and help publicise this idea at the same time.
Feel free to use the logo on your music’s publicity, website, Facebook or Bandcamp page.
To download the image as an EPS for use on your album’s artwork, click here.
Dynamic Range Day logo designed by Matthew Vince